We are SO HAPPY that Anna Vangala Jones has joined us an Editorial Assistant! And have you read her latest story in Catapult, "Mae and Me"? If not, go ahead and open up a new tab. We'll wait. And then get to know Anna a little better through 19 Rounds!
1. Early bird or night owl?
Both. Night owl but not by choice. Been an insomniac since before it was cool, like watching VH1 Insomniac Music Theater in high school. Does that give away my age? Early bird because I have small, loud children.
2. What was your worst haircut?
Easily my Ringo Starr bowl cut with bangs. It’s not necessary to disclose how much too old I was at the time.
3. If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I don’t like this question, but I guess I’ll say “Naive Melody” by the Talking Heads. It just takes me to a happy place and is associated with so many memories.
4. Can you roll your tongue?
5. Mayonnaise: yes or no?
A big emphatic no.
6. What is your least favorite word to come across when reading a book or story?
I hardly think I’m alone on this one. It’s “moist”. I mean I wouldn’t automatically reject work over it, but c’mon.
7. Which movie was better than the book?
As an English teacher, my on the record answer is none. My honest answer is The Princess Bride.
8. What was your first concert?
9. It's Friday night. You're home alone. What did you order for dinner and what's on the TV?
Wouldn’t happen because kids. But after they’re asleep, pizza & Scrubs or Frasier, depending on my mood.
10. How do you take your coffee?
With almond milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Yes, how very LA of me.
11. What expression do you use that most people have never heard? I’m told I use many expressions just slightly off from what they should be, causing them to be taken literally and leading to many an awkward misunderstanding.
12. What movie have you seen the most times?
Not sure. I think The Royal Tenenbaums? Or Amelie. Although lately, we rewatched Thor Ragnarok. It’s gold.
13. What is the best thing you cook or bake?
Tandoori spice rub rib-eye (garam masala, curry powder, fennel, turmeric, etc.—basically I just throw everything in my spice dabba on there.)
14. Finish this sentence: More people should be reading
women of color and other marginalized voices.
15. Favorite time-waster?
16. What's the hardest thing about writing?
When you’re trying to force it and just all the wrong words come out, but then you’re somehow still attached to them later.
17. What's the best thing about writing?
Immersing yourself in a world and people that didn’t exist a few moments earlier when you were staring at a blank screen or sheet of paper.
18. What is your favorite sentence from a short story or poem?
I don’t have just one. I do love “Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.”- Jhumpa Lahiri
19. What question were you hoping to be asked?
Are you excited to join a wonderful group of editors on the staff of a literary magazine you love reading? Answer is YES!