Kelly Flynn became Split Lip's editorial assistant in July. Here, she goes 19 rounds (and please, someone ask #20):
1. Early bird or night owl?
Once I’m up, I’m most productive in the morning. Getting up is the challenge.
2. What was your worst haircut?
During 7th and 8th grade, I cut my own bangs. They were really thin and crunchy. Was it gel? Hairspray? Who knows? I also had two chunky blonde highlights in 8th grade. Not cute. Not cute at all.
3. If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Backstreet Boys – “I Want It That Way”
4. Can you roll your tongue?
No. It’s honestly hard for me to even understand what people are doing when they roll their tongues.
5. Mayonnaise: yes or no?
The question alone makes me feel nauseated.
6. What is your least favorite word to come across when reading a book or story?
7. Which movie was better than the book?
Silver Linings Playbook
8. What was your first concert?
Ace of Base - I think it was a free concert put on by a local radio station.
9. It's Friday night. You're home alone. What did you order for dinner and what's on the TV?
Red Curry with Tofu (hot). At the moment I’m catching up on House of Cards.
10. How do you take your coffee?
If it’s just coffee, black. For expresso drinks, I like flat whites.
11. What expression do you use that most people have never heard?
I just asked a work colleague and he kindly said, “you’re unoriginal.”
12. What movie have you seen the most times?
It is rare for me to re-watch movies, but I have seen The Silence of the Lambs, both Kill Bill films and Willy Wonka multiple times.
13. What is the best thing you cook or bake?
Not to brag or anything, but I’m equally bad at both baking and cooking.
14. Finish this sentence: More people should be reading _______________.
Poetry – and keep in mind I’m a fiction writer. I absolutely love Kaveh Akbar (Butler MFA alum, holla!) and Paige Lewis. I met them at AWP this year and followed them to a reading where I discovered and fell in love with Roy Guzmán and Chen Chen. I try to read poetry every day now, even if it’s just one or two pieces.
15. Favorite time-waster?
Twitter – the online lit community is delightful.
16. What's the hardest thing about writing?
17. What's the best thing about writing?
I have to sit on a draft for a while before I go back and edit it. I love returning to something I have written and thinking, “Hey, this is kind of cool!” It is one of the best feelings in the world.
18. What is your favorite sentence from a short story or poem?
“The half-life of love is forever.” – Junot Diaz, "The Cheater’s Guide to Love"
19. What question were you hoping to be asked?
Do you prefer your cottage cheese to have small or large curds?
For more about Kelly, find her on Twitter, check out her poem "Wildcat" in Natural Bridge, and visit her website.
Start writing your post here. You can insert images and videos by clicking on the icons above.