Poetry Editor Marianne Chan joined the Split Lip staff this past spring, and we're thrilled to work work with her. She's the latest to tackle the 19 Rounds:
1. Early bird or night owl?
2. What was your worst haircut?
A few weeks ago, I bought a Groupon (first mistake) for a haircut and partial foil at a Tallahassee salon behind a strip mall. The beautician was a North Floridian, born and raised. She cut my hair too short and gave me frosty highlights (which she advertised as subtle). Then, she asked if I was adopted. Then, she explained that she thought I was adopted because I spoke such wonderful English. (I was not adopted, though if I were, I would still be somewhat vexed by her line of questioning.) I left the salon resembling an Asian Kelly Clarkson circa 2002. On my way home, I stopped at Walgreen's and bought $3 over-the-counter dark brown dye and a frozen pizza to sooth my aching soul.
3. If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Chopin Nocturne Op. 9, No. 2. In this scenario, I would listen to it rarely. Then, it would be amazing every time I did.
4. Can you roll your tongue?
5. Mayonnaise: yes or no?
6. What is your least favorite word to come across when reading a book or story?
7. Which movie was better than the book?
Les Miserables: The Musical.
8. What was your first concert?
It was either Damien Rice, Fall Out Boy, or Papa Roach. I was an extremely moody teenager.
9. It's Friday night. You're home alone. What did you order for dinner and what's on the TV?
I didn't order anything. I'm eating Spicy Ramyun and watching Frasier.
10. How do you take your coffee?
Half and half and a dash of cinnamon.
11. What expression do you use that most people have never heard?
I don't have one. Everything I say is hackneyed.
12. What movie have you seen the most times?
13. What is the best thing you cook or bake?
Humba, a Filipino Pork Dish.
14. Finish this sentence: More people should be reading:
More poetry! Diane Wakoski, Kenneth Koch, Gertrude Stein, Anne Sexton, Jericho Brown, C.D. Wright, Sandra Lim, Terrance Hayes, Christian Bok, Richard Siken, Claudia Rankine, Kazim Ali, Claudia Keelan, Donald Revell, Larry Levis, Ocean Vuong, Anne Carson, etc., etc.
15. Favorite time-waster?
True crime podcasts. I'm a garbage human.
16. What's the hardest thing about writing?
17. What's the best thing about writing?
Knowing that you've got that final line just right.
18. What is your favorite sentence from a short story or poem?
"No one living a snowed-in life / can sleep without a blindfold." - Terrance Hayes, Snow for Wallace Stevens
19. What question were you hoping to be asked?
If given the opportunity, whose lip would you split?