The featured image for our July issue comes from Sarah Walko, an artist, director, curator, and writer who works in sculpture, installation, and film. Her work is striking in the worlds it creates. Here, she discusses her influences, her process, and the relationship between writing and art.
1. What drew you to Split Lip? How does your feature image work with that?
I was drawn to Split Lip because I loved how in the description you stated you were looking for stories that sting and voices that carry,...
We kick off a sizzling hot summer edition of Fightin' Words with flash contributor Nathaniel Lee Hansen. Be sure to check out his story, "Unnamed Notebook," if you haven't already. Here, he gives us a pie that defies any word count and the single perfect word for:
1) The smell that brings you back to the best time in your life: rain
2) Your last dream: snakes
3) Covering your tracks: scribbling
4) Your sense of style: plain
5) What makes you cringe: plag...
Welcome to the July edition of Now Playing. While you're waiting for the issue to go live on the 15th, get to know this month's contributors, what they've been playing, and how it makes them feel.
For the last eleven years I’ve been living in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. Millions of motorbikes weave past each other and my apartment every day. For the most part, I love it. But all that traffic noise and I crave silence. Couple that with being a pre-K teacher where I need to help k...
We conclude our June round of Fightin' Words with Kristine Langley Mahler, author of this month's featured memoir, "Good Sorts." Here, she shares the single best word (or number!) for:
1) The smell that brings you back to the best time in your life: piñon
2) Your last dream: remarriage
3) Covering your tracks: LOOK!
4) Your sense of style: 1998
5) The most beautiful thing to say: October
6) The hottest day of the year: birthday
7) What you’re hungry for: enoug...
We're going to need set a few more places at the table! That's right, the Split Lip FAM has grown!
Please join us in welcoming our new fiction editor, reviews and interviews editor, and editorial assistant:
Katie M. Flynn joins Split Lip as Fiction Editor. Katie is the 2017 Winner of the Colorado Review's Nelligan Prize for Short Fiction. Her work also recently appeared in (b)OINK. More of her fiction can be found by visiting her website.
Scott Lyon is our new Reviews/Interviews Editor....
If you have seen the magic of our Twitter feed -- and if you're landing here, there's a good chance you have -- than you know the power of Becky Robison, our Marketing and Social Media Coordinator.She spreads the word of Split Lip far and wide, in addition to helping keep the engine of our mag running, and she's the latest to tackle our 19 Rounds:
1. Early bird or night owl?
2. What was your worst haircut?
I think my worst haircut was simply when it wasn't cut. I used to wear it lon...
Melissa Goode is the author of the June issue's featured short story, "Chemistry." She also appears more than once in the June FAM newsletter. Here, she shares her view from the end of her street and her view on the best word for:
1) The smell that brings you back to the best time in your life: antiseptic
2) Your last dream: child-angel
3) Covering your tracks: impossible
4) Your sense of style: yearning
5) The most beautiful thing to say: luminous
6) The hottest day of the year: chlorine